Services that might be provided by a New York midwife include (but aren’t limited to):
- Exams for reproductive and/or primary care, including Pap tests, STI screening, and blood work
- Problem visits and treatments for vaginitis, STIs, menstrual problems, urinary tract infections, and other common health problems (including primary care problems)
- Initiation and monitoring of contraception (including IUC or implant insertion), family planning counseling
- Care throughout the childbearing cycle, including prenatal, labor and birth, and postpartum
- Care for newborns
- First exams and care for teens and young adults
- Care of perimenopausal and menopausal people
- Administering vaccines
- Prescribing medications or equipment
- And more!
Some midwives may do all of the above, and some midwives may work with a narrower focus (for example, some midwives only provide gynecologic and primary care). Contact your local midwife to see if she or he provides the service you are seeking.